Charterhouse of Padula

Padula Charterhouse, also known as Certosa di San Lorenzo di Padula, is a Carthusian monastery in Campania in the province of Salerno. The 250,000 m2 monastery was founded in 1306 by Tommaso Sanseverino, Count of Marisco on the site of a former Benedictine abbey. The monastery with some 320 rooms and halls is so redolent of Baroque elegance that it gives the impression of being a prince's residence, rather than a sacred building. The cloisters with their 84 columns are considered to be the largest in the world and comprise some 12,000 m2. In 1806 the monastery was captured and plundered by Napoleon's soldiers and many of its works of art were stolen. In 1866 the Charterhouse was dissolved, and the monastery passed into State ownership. The Padula Charterhouse is a national monument and in 1998, together with the archaeological sites of Paestum and Velia and the Cilento and Vallo di Diano National Parks, was declared by UNESCO to be a World Natural Heritage site.
 
 
 
 


 
Arrival   Days Adults
 Request   Booking 


Newsletter
Receive information and offers directly via e-mail!


Privacy terms  Submit 
Villaggio La Siesta
Contrada Sirenen, 1
84059 Marina di Camerota
Campania - Italy
Phone +39 0974 932328
Fax +39 0974 379805

www.villaggiolasiesta.it
VAT No. 02238450213
 
produced by Smarter Internet